Monday, September 21, 2009

The True Self


Illustration by Michael Leunig

The true self... for some of us, this might seem like a strange concept, as if we could be anybody other than simply who we are. It might seem strange to hear me speak of masks, or of the notion of inauthenticity. For such people, I'd guess that you might be one of those rare "people without guile," as Jesus referred to Nathaniel. My dad was such a person... what you saw was what you got, and vice versa for that matter.

But I don't think that describes the majority of us. Most of us had experiences early on where we didn't feel sufficiently "well held," and as a result, developed ways and means of taking care of ourselves-- of getting the resources we needed to feel safe, secure, etc. Speaking from personal experience, I grew up in an environment where I was very much loved, yet despite that love, I was not quite convinced of my mom and dad's ability to take care of me. Some fear or doubt crept in from I know not where. Perhaps when we talk about original sin, one way of understanding it is that gap between reality and our perceptions, where fear and insecurity filter what we experience and lead us to doubt the value of our true self.

Do you know what I am talking about?

So, what is this true self? I believe that nature of the true self was revealed to us through Jesus' experience at his baptism in the river Jordan. There, Jesus had a powerful experience of his belovedness-- such that it was as if a dove had descended down upon him, sending waves of the Father's affection for him with each flap of its wings. And Jesus in turn shares repeatedly how we have a share in that belovedness. This is our true nature, just as it was Jesus' own... beloved and precious in God's eyes, children.

But unlike Jesus, most of us forget that true nature, mistaking other messages for the one that God revealed to Jesus that day at the Jordan.

More to follow... have a great week!


5 comments:

  1. hi david
    i notice you are hoping for a little more feedback so i'm here to tell ya i'm reading!
    i hurt my back pretty badly a couple weeks back and it has played havoc with my ability both to concentrate on what you have said and to sit long enough to respond but things are slowly improving and i might get a bit more vocal here
    i think it is totally human to misunderstand or underestimate how we are loved by God (especially if we can have doubts about our parents who are more tangible)
    i think the challenge is to try to live to our fullest potential even when we arent convinced of our value, thereby allowing our true selves their best possible chance to develop and shine

    i hope i'm on the right wavelength here, bit foggy tonight :)

    have fun
    k

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kylie, there's no right or wrong wavelength to it... I resonate with your point about seeking to live to our fullest potential despite our doubts... this is what faith is, no?

    I am so sorry to hear about your back-- I know how debilitating this can be. If you are anywhere near the Clare Valley of South Australia, or Mildura, VIC, I know some great folks who might be able to help!

    Hope that you heal fully and soon...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great column, do enjoy reading what you have to say....please keep it up. Your thoughts are interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Dave,
    I believe you are right about our true selves - each & every one of us being precious children, beloved & beautiful in his/her sight - no matter what our human experience may at times tell us! My 2 cents worth are That deep in the heart of us all, there is a part of all of us so intrinsicly linked to our creator - that speaks to us in some quiet (& not so!!!) way, about who & how we really want to be in this world & in this life & what is truly important! But that for whatever reason.. we can become disconnected from this (& our creator) in our experience, choices & actions - & fall in that gap you eloquently spoke of in an earlier blog! For me in making sense of original sin - I wonder wether some of that is in the prioritisation we all have - in listening to the voice of our minds (which constantly speaks to us of negative judgments & evaluations & reinforces all those not so pretty experiences & worldly voices) over that quieter voice of god - & which then keeps us blinder to our 'true selves'.... Think the challenge for me.. as for most I suspect is to try & not buy into that which my mind would constantly chatter, choosing instead to hold that sense of preciousness that sits quietly beneath it all, & that is so abundant in the gifts given & so apparent in the people & world around!!!
    I appreciate you sharing your thoughts.. it gives me much to ponder on & often resonates deeply with many of my musings & reflections!
    Go well, Lynley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely to have the thoughts you both share, thanks!

    ReplyDelete