Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Living in the Tension


Art by Dennis McNally, S.J.












One persistent theme of my recent experience in Australia is that of paradoxes... that life is seldom a black and white matter, but rather, a matter of living with paradoxical tensions. What am I talking about? Following on the theme from yesterday-- that of living in the world but not being bound by its conventions, of appreciating beauty and excellence without trying to grasp or possess them, of having one foot in the world of ephemera- the passing things, and the other foot in the eternal... this is what I am talking about. When we try to look at and understand our experience in those dualistic, polarizing terms, it is very hard to hold any of these things together, let alone to appreciate that we are called to be both human and divine, sinners and saints.

Despite our tendency to see things in the either/or terms (e.g. I am either a sinner and condemned or beloved and "saved"), this dualistic way of seeing is largely driven by our ego. The reality of things as understood by those who see the world from the heart is undivided and whole... and all things are connected. I am, for instance, both a sinner and precious to God-- at this very moment. The capacity to experience and make sense of life in these non-dual terms takes lots of grace and regular practice. In terms of Ignatian spirituality, it require that we become more and more contemplative in action...

4 comments:

  1. Doug,

    What you wrote about the circular insanity of over-thinking everything reminds me of a quote-- something along these lines: the mind is a great servant but a cruel master. Thank you for your thoughtful post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. David, Thank you for making me think, and true to my inability to ever stay focused..I'l just let this go wherever it will.... Like you, I follow my heart. I know He lives there, and I can hear Him- if I choose to listen. My life is a checkerboard of sins, and times when I do the right thing at a given moment. I will never be perfect, and know that God would never expect it of me. I do believe He gives credit for trying to all of us. I am a stupid man, who does stupid things at times, but I know how to love. God has Graciously given me that gift. Almost always, when I receive Communion, and am in quiet reflection thereafter, I am moved to tears. I cannot explain it, and wouldn't try, except to say that I am eternally grateful for His love. As to living in this world, and trying to make sense of the paradoxical tensions.. to that I am always, it would seem, at a loss. I will follow your blog, and chime in now and again. I hope to meet you someday. I hope that you have a WONDERFUL Birthday.
    Best, David

    PS. I think that your sister is an incredibly amazing paradox. She is filled with abundant spirit, and it brings me joy to know her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. David,

    Thank you for your very trusting post... I'm sure that we'll meet when the time is right. In the meanwhile, peace and all good things.

    David

    ReplyDelete