Friday, October 16, 2009

Jesus: the ideal "holding environment"

Today's gospel passage is jammed with a variety of Jesus' teachings. These were probably a collection of distinct sayings, each of which situated in a unique context with a particular audience. The overall feel of Jesus' tone is a balancing act of challenge and comfort, a balance that I think is ideal for both keeping us on our toes and at the same time, supporting us through trials. It leads me to think of how I often meet people who claim to have a very close relationship with Jesus, telling me that he is always offering them consolation and healing... sacred balm to soothe them. I must admit, this has not been my personal experience. Don't get me wrong, Jesus does provide strength, comfort, and encouragement when I turn to him in prayer and listen carefully, but not all the time. Sometimes, I find Jesus gently but firmly instigating me, poking my pride, trying to soften my ego and open me up further to loving and being loved. I wonder if it is possible to have a healthy, adult relationship with Jesus unless we are open to both dynamics in our prayer- consolation and challenge?

Years ago, D.W. Winnicott coined the term, the "holding environment" to describe the ideal context in which infants and small children grow. It entailed having a "good enough mother," who nurtures her baby, but not so much so that the child doesn't have to learn to negotiate his/her impulses and eventually develop a distinct sense of self. Developmentalists like Piaget and Kegan pick up on this notion and extend it to the way that adults will continue to grow and mature as long as there is a good balance of developmental supports and challenges in life... which leads me back to Jesus.

In a profound sense, our relationship with Jesus can serve as a sort of ultimate holding environment, so long as we are open to being both supported and challenged by his witness, his teaching, and his Divine Presence.

Luke 12:1-7

At that time:
So many people were crowding together
that they were trampling one another underfoot.
Jesus began to speak, first to his disciples,
“Beware of the leaven–that is, the hypocrisy–of the Pharisees.

“There is nothing concealed that will not be revealed,
nor secret that will not be known.
Therefore whatever you have said in the darkness
will be heard in the light,
and what you have whispered behind closed doors
will be proclaimed on the housetops.
I tell you, my friends,
do not be afraid of those who kill the body
but after that can do no more.
I shall show you whom to fear.
Be afraid of the one who after killing
has the power to cast into Gehenna;
yes, I tell you, be afraid of that one.
Are not five sparrows sold for two small coins?
Yet not one of them has escaped the notice of God.
Even the hairs of your head have all been counted.
Do not be afraid.
You are worth more than many sparrows.”

2 comments:

  1. Hi Father,

    From your profile, how is it that a priest of the Catholic Church does not express the views and positions of the Catholic Church?

    Jerry Okonski

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jerry,

    Thank you for this helpful inquiry! I would not want to be misunderstood... As this is a blog, the views I express here are not intended to be taken as official or authoritative statements on behalf of the Society of Jesus or of the Magisterium of the Roman Catholic Church. They are offered as reflections on Scripture, spirituality, leadership, adult development, and other areas of interest. If someone was seeking official church positions on any of these or other matters, I would direct them to the appropriate source. Of course my blog will reflect Church teaching and the positions of the Society of Jesus where and when appropriate.

    Does this makes sense?

    Gratefully,
    Father David

    ReplyDelete