Monday, November 9, 2009

True Foundations

Today the Church celebrates the feast of the Dedication of the Lateran Basilica in Rome. The Basilica of St. John Lateran is the cathedral of Rome. This is not St. Peter's, but it is the Pope's cathedral. Also called the Church of Holy Savior or the Church of St. John Baptist, it was the baptism church of ancient Rome. It was built in the time of Constantine and was consecrated by Pope Sylvester in 324. This feast became a universal celebration in honor of the basilica called "the mother and mistress of all churches of Rome and the world" (omnium urbis et orbis ecclesiarum mater et caput) as a sign of love for and union with the See of Peter.

I found this feast a bit of a challenge when I settled into prayer this morning until I read the second reading from today's mass. I felt inspired to focus on the theme of foundations... the foundation of the Church on Jesus' life, words, and the witness of his followers, as well as the question of my foundation. What is it that I stake my life on? What do I know that I know that I know? What is it that I have learned through my own personal experience, such that even if the most well informed authority in the world were to challenge me, I could stand my ground and hold steady in a grounded conviction of my own truth. In a sense, I am wondering how Truth with a capital "T" makes room for the truth of individual experience...

1 Cor 3:9c-11, 16-17

Brothers and sisters:
You are God’s building.
According to the grace of God given to me,
like a wise master builder I laid a foundation,
and another is building upon it.
But each one must be careful how he builds upon it,
for no one can lay a foundation other than the one that is there,
namely, Jesus Christ.

Do you not know that you are the temple of God,
and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?
If anyone destroys God’s temple,
God will destroy that person;
for the temple of God, which you are, is holy.

No comments:

Post a Comment